puddlestash

Splashing around in my own other splashings!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ottawa, Canada

I read lots. I have a cat. I drink coffee. Therefore, I am.

Friday, April 27, 2007

A Burnt-Out Case [Review]

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, as I have so many of Greene's others... in fact, this one is my favorite so far.
For me, a significant theme in the book is that it is very difficult to run away from one's true vocation.
In A Burnt-Out Case, the main character Querry tries to do just that.
He feels that he has lost the passion he once had for his gifting in architecture, and he tries to run and hide in obscurity... to go into an early retirement.
Due to his immense fame, he needs to go far (geographically) to do this; hence, he finds himself at the end of an arduous tsetse-fly infested boat ride in the heart of an isolated leper colony in the Belgian Congo. Here, with the help of the many priests who run the colony, and a nosy journalist thrown into the mix, Querry will find out just how hard the ground is in which he attempts to bury his talents.
My one criticism, well no, it is not a criticism, but.... perhaps just something I considered to be the one (albeit minor) "possible" flaw in the story's denouement, is as follows. (NOTE: To criticize Graham Greene seriously makes me fearful of the next lightning storm.)
However, towards the end, Mme. Rycker has accused Querry of a terrible indiscretion, and this throws her husband into a somewhat understandable fit of rage. The priests also, believing Mme. Rycker's accusations, reject Querry, and he is humiliated and unjustly condemned. Querry knows how
serious the situation has now become. But he does not take it seriously. In his defense, he simply claims to Rycker, "I haven't even kissed your wife. She doesn't attract me in that way."
A key fact here is that he is actually telling the truth.
Rycker's jealous rage is unjustified. Another key fact is that Mme. Rycker also knows that nothing happened between them, and talks about that fact freely with Querry just minutes after his tumultuous verbal exchange with her husband.
I kept asking myself... why didn't Querry arrange this interview with Mme. Rycker at a time and place where Rycker himself could have secretly overheard their conversation?
In this way, Rycker could have clearly overheard his wife contradicting the allegations that she had written in her diary! In this way Querry would have cleared his name.
Read the book and see if you don't agree with me!

The only reason Querry could have logically been as non-concerned about the issue as he was, is because he was so gentlemanly and honorable, he did not want Mme. Rycker to experience the wrath of her husband, and was willing to bear that burden himself.
And bear it he did!

A truly excellent book!

**********

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home